There are many aspects to a website design, which together constitute the dictionary meaning of a good web design. Many people while talking about a good web design imply a good looking and visually appealing website. However, one must remember that appearance is only a small part of a good web design; there are several other factors that deserve consideration.
- Good Design Looks Good While creating a web design, always remember that first impression is the last impression. A good website layout and attractive graphics will attract a lot of visitors to your site. But, once the visitor is there, he needs much more than just a good design to hold him on.
- Search Engine Friendly Site There is no point in having a great looking website if no one ever visits it. Thus, the website needs to be search engine friendly. Important key words and key phrases should appear as far as possible on the home page. This will help major search engines locate your site easily. Higher search engine rankings imply more hits and greater sales opportunities.
- Usability A website should be easy and intuitive to use. Navigation should be easily accessed on every page: the general rule is that 2 clicks or less should get you to any page of the site. Complex navigation structure will frustrate your visitors and they will leave your site immediately if they cannot find what they are looking for.
- Content & Site Purpose Before beginning on a website design, define objectives and site purpose. A good design takes into account the site purpose and works towards it. The site content should be up-to-date and reflect the main goals of your site.
- Active Links All links should be active and live. Broken links speak volumes not only for the website but also the company.
- Site Structure The edifice of your site lies within the coding and programming structure. A strong site should be should be openly usable in all browsers, operating systems and screen sizes without additional plug-ins.
- Contact Page A good website must have a contact page, mentioning the postal address, phone number and email address.
- ISP The role of your host is crucial in a good website. The ISP should have great up-time and boast fast transfer speeds.
By following these guidelines, you can create a site that is visually appealing, easy to navigate and search engine optimized. A good web design will generate greater sales opportunities and bring more money to your pocket.