Apple has today released for download iOS 15.7.1 and iPadOS 15.7.1 for older iPhones and iPads. The update doesn’t bring with it any new features, but is instead designed to fix security issues.
Those who have iPhones that don’t support iOS 16 or iPads that can’t run iPadOS 16 can install these releases right now and rest assured that their devices are still running the latest security updates.
These releases are also useful for people who don’t want to update to the latest versions of Apple’s software or can’t for whatever reason.
The update can be installed on compatible iPhones and iPads by opening the Settings app and tapping General followed by Software Update. If your device does support iOS 16 or iPadOS 16, be sure to install the correct update if you’re trying to avoid them.
While Apple hasn’t yet said what security fixes have been applied, it’s likely that the updates deal with an exploit that was fixed in iOS 16.1 and iPadOS 16.1 earlier this week. That exploit could have allowed someone to run malicious code, with Apple saying that it was aware the exploit could have been actively used in the wild.
Apple’s next software update, iOS 16.2, is already being tested by both developers and those who are on the public beta program. That isn’t expected to be made available to the public for a few weeks yet, depending on whether any issues are discovered during the beta program.
You may also like to check out:
- Download: iOS 16.1 Final OTA Profile File, IPSW Links Released
- How To Fix Bad iOS 16 Battery Life Drain [Guide]
- Jailbreak iOS 16.1 On iPhone And iPad Status Update
- iOS 16 Compatible And Supported iPhone, iPad, iPod touch Devices
- iOS 16 Hidden Features: 100+ Changes Apple Didn’t Tell Us About
- Download: iPadOS 16.1 Final OTA Profile File, IPSW Links Released
- Download iOS 16 Final IPSW Links And Install On iPhone 13, Pro, 12, Pro, 11, Pro, XS Max, X, XR, 8, Plus [Tutorial]